Thursday, July 8, 2010

Dawn, a Boon ?

I am used to getting up early in the morning right from my school days and the habit has stuck with me. I am not sure whether it is good or bad, but I seem to enjoy and reap the benefits.

Well, what are the benefits I am talking about ? You can do all things that you wanted to do but somehow never found time to do ! Before the world wakes up, you can catch up with your work and be some hours ahead.

Way back in 70s , during my college days, I used to get up at 4 AM and by 5.30 peep out of my balcony for a whiff of fresh air. I could still remember the scene. The majestic nearby temple tower, the early morning prayer coming out of a nearby mosque speaker, vendors yelling for milk ..... it was wonderful.

For the current day needs, no worries on catching up early morning flights (still remember the chilly 3 AM wake up in Sydney).

When I browsed through my scrap book of collections, I came across some quotes:
"Early morning hath gold in its mouth"- Wellington.
"One key to success is to have lunch at the time when most of the people have breakfast" - Robert Brault.
Robin Sharma too has some few good observations on early mornings:

He speaks about the "Five O' clock Club" to control your day rather than letting the day control you.
Winning the "battle of bed" and putting the "mind over the mattress", he says, will provide you with at least one quiet hour for yourself during the most crucial part of the your day viz., the Beginning.
I enjoy getting up early- why don't you try and get some enjoyment in life :-)
Incidentally this post was conceived one rainy early morning of July 2010 !

Updated on 22-July-2010:

After writing the above post, I happened to hear the great Hari katha exponent Shri Sundara Kumar and I was surprised and happy to hear him repeat two of the above points. This goes to reaffirm to myself that my thinking is on the right lines. The learned Hari Katha exponent went on to add that it is enshrined in the sastras that those who sleep during dawn & or dusk run the risk of being afflicted with the greatest of Doshas viz., the Bramahathi dosha. This dosha is supposed to be the worst of all doshas in that, it is at the end of the dosha list and there is very little chance of the afflicted person getting rid of this. So, readers be aware and pass it on to those whom you care for !! 

No comments:

Post a Comment