Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas '04

While I am rejoicing at my friends enjoying the Christmas celebrations, my memories force me back to Christmas of 2004. I hosted a dinner to my family at Hotel Mathura and we returned late in the night. After lots of gossip we retired late and so woke up late the next day, which was unusual. Two things rocked the day. We heard that there were strong tremors felt in T Nagar and by impulse, I rang up my office at HT1 to be assured by security that all is well.

Before I could relax, my mom who was going to the temple for Arudra Dharshan rang up from the entrance of my apartments and informed that there was panic on the streets. People running helter skelter saying that the sea water has entered Chennai and that it is rushing towards our apartments. I was trying to contain my laughter- sea water entering!! But, when i came down, the scene was scary. I could see people residing in the nearby slum taking shelter in our apartment basement; I saw an elderly person, who was in the midst of his pooja, being dragged by his son to safety; One slum dweller remarked " Do you think you are safe in that concrete building- Everything will be wiped out by the great wave!". I was now bewildered but when I ventured to go to the seashore which was less than a kilometer from my place, I was prevented.

 S
lowly when the picture started emerging, it was scary. In a single stroke, one huge wave has entered a house and instantly killed many inmates sleeping there. There were scenes of many bodies in track suites- of joggers along the coastline. There was one huge car being tossed by the waves, which was receding! When I heard that there was more than knee deep water near Gandhi Statue, I shuddered. The road was nearly half kilometer from the coast and if there was knee deep water there, how high and forceful should have been the great wave! I used to go for morning walks on the pavement, after parking my bike near Gandhi statue! My brother, just returned after completing his walk. I heaved a sigh of relief but it was painful to realize the loss of so many lives not only in Chennai, but in other parts of India, Sri Lanka and Thailand. My Co-brother escaped the fury due to a puncture in his car, as he was heading for Velankanni , one of the worst hit places and the tyre puncture delayed his reaching Velankanni. So, next time when there is an impediment, rather than cursing thank your stars. It could be for your welfare. But who wants another Tsunami!

2 comments:

  1. Very good one. Brought back memories 6 years old. You forgot to mention a few things though :-)
    1. I was the one who called you from the apartment entrance. Ur mom was WITH me. And yes, you sounded very casual and laughed about the giant wave!
    2. I still remember being scared by the scenes on tv about the tsunami. That night, I told you and mom, "Pls don't forget to wake me up if the water comes in again!" (I was innocently only 15 yrs old :P)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one Sir. I felt nostalgic too ... I was working night shift for a media that time in London and I still remember that day early morning around 4 am (GMT) I was tired because of my long night shift …. But suddenly I had a flash footage received from Routers saying "Tsunami hits Southern India 15 dead".

    Yes the first footage said only 15 but slowly I was receiving updates from BBC and Routers …. the numbers started increasing from 15 to 50,100,500,1000,5000,20,000 and at last crossed 50,000.My shift was over around 9am in the morning but I was so down and weak that I stayed back at office itself till 1pm then slowly regained some strength and headed back to home. Now it looks like an one another thing but how many of our countrymen life were shattered because of this devilish wave.

    ReplyDelete