Friday, January 14, 2011

Bare foot Doctors !

It was shocking to read in the Times of India of 13th Jan that two villagers in Rajasthan, who have never been to school are learning and practicing tricky dental procedures in that village. It is also surprising to learn that they have been chosen by a team of Italian dentists to perform such procedure.

How come this is allowed and also published very proudly? I am not questioning, as I feel there will be some answers, but I fail to understand why there was such a furor when a Doctor couple in Salem , India allowed their minor son to perform a Cesarean section and the doctors were jailed.

I am at a loss as to how these things can happen in a country like India, which is witnessing such a tremendous growth in Medical Sciences. Will you subject, any of your kith and kin to such barefoot Doctors. Honestly, I will not ! 

Also, nowadays , there is a trend to rush to the court if the treatment meted out seems to be falling short of practices and expectations. In such cases, how can we approach authorities for redressal and how will the courts view this- I am just to curious to know.

These are my immediate reactions to the news item. I am sure, I will add some more to this post, as my mind is yet to digest this news.

No comments:

Post a Comment