Saturday, January 29, 2011

Detestable Red tapes

Recently I had the misfortune to get a certificate attested from one of the government offices and this experience showed how backward still we are in terms of management despite talks of eGovernance and tele conferencing. The issue was simple- the Bank disbursing the educational loan wanted the income of my pensioner relative to be certified. First question was why should this be certified confirmed, when a Nationalized bank is giving a statement about the income received by a person.

The first visit was totally a trip into the woods, as the office was surrounded by a huge crowd, ostensibly to receive some dole for the festival around. I was promptly informed that nothing of my requirement will be met until next week, when the festival will conclude. My feeble request that the Bank has stipulated next 3 days as last date was firmly rebutted as Bank cannot dictate terms to them. Caught between the devil and the deep sea, I approached them next week and was blindly asked to fill some forms and come in the evening. There was no acknowledgement- nothing.

Then started my journey to the office, which went on for nearly 7 times within a week- every time to be told to come later. I almost gave up hope and when I decided to make one last effort, the good official made me to wait for nearly two hours and then I myself was asked to search for my papers from a mountain of garbage. The whole place was stinking, stained with pawn spits and dirty. The silver lining was I was able to get the same that night without spending an extra paisa and when I got the same, I felt like the 1983 Indian Cricket team, which got the World Cup, when no one expected it to.
 My question is, why should someone spend so much of time running around? What about some system to acknowledge and specify a possible date? Why should the concerned person be asked to search for his own papers- in the melee I resisted from trampling on other papers, which were strewn all around? I had an attack, when told that my papers were missing- a simple acknowledgment would have saved this.
 In this age of computerization and online tracking, these are avoidable pains. While the Railways is making full use of computers and the offices of Passport provide online status, why this apathy in the state departments. I feel system and transparency are the initial steps towards better governance and winning the confidence of simple citizens.

2 comments:

  1. Iguess every Indian has to go through similar experiences while dealing with Govt departments.
    right from birth,school,college,registering marriage,death,provident funds,ration cards..we are exposed to this greasing of palms openly..Govt should consider legalising this !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Anyway, my posting was more concerned about the process or the lack of it.

    ReplyDelete