Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Some places I enjoy visiting in India - Part 1

My favorite choice of visit at any time of the year is a hill station. 

Kodai is always my favourite place, ever since I started visiting it in 1979. The hill station with many virgin places at that time has come a long way since then. But, still it holds a special place in my heart. As you start climbing the hill, the temperature changes pleasantly and when you reach the place, you get a full blast of chill air, depending on the time of your visit. It has such beautiful places to walk around such as Coakers walk, around the lake - watch out it is nearly 12+ kms- so start early, if you set out in the evening. Recently, we also discovered a beautiful trekking place called Vattakanal and Dolphin nose. To satiate my sweet tooth, home made chocolates are available aplenty here.

Ooty, also called Ootacamund, is another beautiful hill station in South India and I used to alternate between this and Kodai every year. More crowded and commercial than Kodai, the place has very good picnic spots and the commercial street is my favorite place for evening stroll. The botanical garden is a delight to visit and the toy train, can be tried just for the sake of record once, as it is very crowded and also requires better travel facilities. 

At both these hill stations, I have tried various hotels and TTDC remains my favorite, with traditional food and hospitality!

No comments:

Post a Comment