Monday, January 30, 2012

Martyrs


When I was in school, all students will be asked to stand in silence at 11 AM on the 30th January every year, as a mark of respect to the Martyrs and as observance of Martyrs day. I am not sure whether this practice is still in vogue in Schools and Colleges. I woke up this morning to be reminded of the significance of this day and as there are no one around this time at home, I thought let me atleast attempt to name some of the martyrs that come to my mind immediately  - of course without referring to internet resources. I could instantly come up with Mahatma Gandhi,  Kattabomman, Bhagath Sigh, Tirupur Kumaran, Vallabhai Patel, and VOC:

Let me also say as to why I consider them as martyrs:

Gandhi:  Dedicated his lifetime to the cause of the nation

Kattabomman: Resisted the British rule - Waged a war against the British even before the war of Independence - captured and hanged

Bhaghat Sigh: Freedom fighter executed for his firm beliefs . Refused to marry and dedicated his life for the freedom struggle.

Tiruppur Kumaran: Died fighting the British and refusing to let lose the Indian National Flag, which was banned at that time

Sardar Vallabhai Patel: Gave up a successful legal practice to join the Freedom struggle and was considered a tough negotiator. Known as one of the founding fathers of India

V.O. Chidambaram : Spent his resources freely for the freedom struggle and died in penury

I was trying to validate my contention of the above as Martyrs and referred to some dictionaries for the meaning of the word which said a person :

·          who willingly suffers death rather than renounce his or her religion.
·         who is put to death or endures great suffering on behalf of any belief, principle, or cause.
·         who undergoes severe or constant suffering

I am happy that the above persons meet the criteria atleast under one definition

2 comments:

  1. Jai Hind.
    Vandemadaram.
    Let us keep in silence for a miniute in memory of the MARTYRS OF OUR NATION.
    Properly remembered on this day for them.
    Whoever reads this please remember the National Leaders who lived in penury like VOC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On 3-Feb-2012, Parasuram Narayanan says " It might surprise u that in our office we still observe this day and stand in silence.I think most of the central govt.depts still do this.This is for your information."

    ReplyDelete