Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Blind Reading


Today I was back to reading for the physically challenged brethren after some months, at Vidhya Mandhir. The student assigned was from Thiruvannamalai doing BA Literature at the Presidency College. Contrary to the students I have met so far, this boy had a better grasp and good memory. But, he tested my grasp as he presented me with the text book and requested me to explain a chapter on French Revolution. The initial paragraph had me struggling to read every sentence twice to understand and explain to him, as the language was very tough. Fortunately, he swapped it with another version of the book. The topic  I have read in my early years of competitive exam preparations were brought back before me and there sailed a ninety minute session, with the student and the reader extremely satisfied. I was taken aback when he mentioned that this lesson is yet to be taken by his teacher, most probably tomorrow, and that he wanted to be a step ahead!

One thing that beats me is why such a tough syllabus for visually challenged students? While the students  were asking for the spelling for "fierce "and meaning for "discontent", why should they be taxed with Keats, Shelly and Robespierre ? Will it not be better if the authorities design a syllabus in accordance with their constraints and that which include some vocational training too!

Whatever it be, I always look forward to Tuesday sessions by SMILE, which leaves me completely satisfied and realize how blessed I am!

2 comments:

  1. Truely blessed these days Kapalee, who said post retirement is boring...

    ReplyDelete
  2. On 14-Mar-2012, Gayatri wrote :


    I completely agree with your thoughts. I have similar ones for regular professional courses so no doubt it should be the same for visually challenged individuals.

    Our first challenge is to accomplish a guideline for educational standards, something like below:

    1. Strong but simplified technical foundation. Basis: need Strong foundation to make good judgements on future options.
    2. Direction for higher education and knowledge of career paths. Basis: Idea of a short and long term education and career path.
    3. Up to date syllabus encouraging Research pursuits. Basis: encouragement of learning and innovation, creative pursuits.
    4. Inclusive of vocational, and hands on training courses reflective of current industry trend. Basis: ready for Industry use with strong education foundation post graduation.

    ReplyDelete